Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What's in a name?

I've started thinking about the fact that we will soon be starting the name picking process for this baby. We find out the sex in about 3 weeks, so we'll start the process after that. Picking the right name is a really big deal. I always think about the fact that God has our names written on his heart, and He has known them since the beginning of time. So that feels like a big responsibility to make sure we pick the name God has for our kids!

I often get asked how we chose Mylo's name, since its not very common unless your and 80 year old German man. : ) His name is VERY special to me, and the process we went through to pick it was difficult, but also worth the time in prayer and listening to the Lord. Mylo fits him PERFECTLY.

We dug and dug through a name book and had a list going of what we liked. Our top choices were Elijah and Ethan, and Mylo was on the list there somewhere. I started getting a real sense from the Lord that it was to be Mylo. Unfortunately, Jon was not on board with that at first! We went back and forth A LOT. But I just felt stronger and stronger everyday that this was the name the Lord wanted us to give him. It got to the point where I couldn't even consider anything else. I just felt like the baby inside me was Mylo.

Mylo means "generous", and I felt like that was a real calling on our life as a family. That God has called us and gifted us to be generous with our time, resources, money, etc. We have done our best to be faithful to this, even though I am typically a really selfish and self-centered person! But we have seen God be MORE than faithful in blessing us where we have stretched ourselves to be generous.

On Sunday, January 7th, 2007 we headed to church. Our head pastor, Danny, gave a PHENOMENAL sermon on being excellent in generosity. The verse he used was from Proverbs 11:25. It says, "A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed." That was the final confirmation for me.

That evening, I came into the living room where Jon was with my Bible in hand, ready to plead my case. He LIKED Mylo, but didn't necessarily feel like that was the right name. So I explained to him how I REALLY felt that this was the name God had, talked about our family's calling, the Bible verse, etc. When I was done, Jon smiled and said, "Well then his name will be Mylo!" Yay! Then we picked Josiah as his middle name, because we both loved it, and it means "fire of the Lord".

Everytime I look at Mylo I just think how thankful I am that that's his name. It just fits him so perfectly and I LOVE it.

To be honest, I'm a little bit nervous about picking another baby name. I have a few I like, but I just really want to hear from the Lord again. But I'm really looking forward to knowing the sex of the baby, and being in prayer to pick just the right name!

I'd love to hear your stories about how you picked your kids' names!

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Hi Kate. Haven't checked your site in awhile.

I love finding out the gender of baby! It's the most exciting part of the pregnancy.

We're having a boy this time around and decided on a name that same afternoon. To be honest, we had about a top five list and once we knew we were having a son, the name just fit and clicked. We both adore it.

With our daughter, I knew immediately that I wanted to name my girl Audrey. It's been my favorite girl name for as long as I can remember.

Good luck w/ baby naming.

I moved to Wordpress- BTW.
http://capturingalife.wordpress.com/

Homegrown Tribe said...

that's so special. Picking names are SO HARD... but so worth the effort. We are still VERY unsure of any names for these babies. they will be named at the hospital for sure... just like their brothers. :)

can't wait to hear what you're having.

brittany

Maggie said...

I think the name Mylo is so cute! What a neat background story too! We named Henry after his two grandfathers, and when people look at me funny when I tell them Henry's name, I shrug it off because I LOVE his name and am proud of its origin. It will be so fun for you to name your new baby, and I know you'll do an awesome job because you put so much heart and prayer into it!

Take care! :)

Lakeville Vertical said...

My oldest is Autumn. She was born on my husband's birthday and his favorite season is the fall. She looked like an Autumn when she was born. We didn't find out if she was a boy or girl and I truly thought she was a boy. We had kind of liked the name Abigail but when she came out and I saw her, she was simply Autumn.
My middle daughter is Mara. In the book of Ruth her mother in law states to call her Mara which means bitter. Now that meaning seems harsh and has more to do with me than my daughter. I had a difficult time getting pregnant after our first and then we had a miscarriage. I was so angry and bitter. My state of mind was so ill and I truly had to give it over to God. I believe I became pregnant with my little Mara the moment I allowed God to take my bitterness. A bit of a twist I know but I loved that about it and her name suited her.
My little Ian has the gaelic name for my husband's name John. We didn't want a junior or a II so we chose a different language and I am Irish and Scottish so it fit.
Sorry about the long story but it's how we came upon my babies names. I love choosing names. Can't wait to find out who your little one is!

My2Gs said...

Sweet name for a sweet little boy.

Our little girl is Grace Parmer. I have always loved old names, and I once knew a ninty-something sweet little old lady named Grace. Her middle name Parmer is my husband's grandma's maiden name. Our little boy is Gauge Rylen. My husband really liked Gauge. He thought it was very masculine. I didn't like it at first and then it REALLY grew on me! Now I can't imagine him being anything other. Rylen is a combination of our middle names. His is Ryan and mine is Lyn~~~Rylen :)

Leslie said...

Don't know how I found your blog. Think from 4 little men. I am on a boy name hunt...due with my third boy in 6 weeks. We have two boys - Luke and Samuel and their names were chosen for specific reasons. I am going to take your advice and pray about a name for this boy. Thanks for this post. Best of luck with your baby on the way. And I love the name Mylo.