This smiling face right here...

...is that of a happy potty-trained boy.
I know that I've done a post about it before, but I feel as though potty training a child is one of the big accomplishments of my life! Anyone else??!
Besides, I've got an 18 month old who's next in line, and I want documentation of exactly what we did to a) remember what to do! and b) encourage/help you with what worked for us.
First off, my #1 best parenting tip of all time...
3daypottytraining.com
(you can thank me later, because on day 1 you'll want to shoot me.)
Before we started, I prepared the scene. Big boy underwear, lots of stickers, potty prizes, potty seat, games/activities. Mylo had just had his birthday party the day before, so we had lots of new stuff to play with during our intense 3 days of potty training.
Because yes, you quit diapers cold turkey and basically attach yourself to your child so you can be there for every single accident and get them to the potty.
We started the day with a "potty ceremony".
I explained to Mylo what we were doing - that he was a BIG BOY now and ONLY goes pee and poop in the potty now.
We threw out allll the diapers.

(well, I put them in a clean garbage bag and had Mylo put that in the garbage can in the garage. Then later I retrieved those diapers since I needed them for Phin! I would think that's a good way to do it for cloth diapers as well.)
Then I presented Mylo with all his new super-cool big boy underwear. (I bought like 20 pairs.)

Then we spent the next few days side by side. The importance of that is so I could catch him going EACH TIME. They really do start getting it...eventually. :) I promise.
The beginning is NO FUN. I suggest putting towels and Lysol wipes throughout your house for quick access.
Anytime Mylo peed/pooped in the potty, even just a drop, I made a big deal. Stickers, prizes, phone calls to daddy, etc.
I let him pick something from the "potty prize" bag whenever I was especially proud of him.

I just stocked up on LITTLE stuff from the dollar section at target, or wrapped up stuff we already had but wasn't used yet. Some of the things were matchbox cars, markers, Diego bandaids, etc.
The sticker charts were, and still ARE a BIG HIT around here. First, it satisfies something in me due to my life-long obsession with stickers. Also, Mylo loves it. I found a new use for unused scrapbook paper...

Mylo loves to put a sticker on one of the vehicles. The last potty chart was circles, and he really got a kick out of putting a sticker on each circle.
Nighttime? No problem.
We followed the 3daypottytraining.com nighttime routine and it has really worked for us. Yes, the first week is horrible having to change sheets every morning and/or middle of the night. But it was worth the effort because Mylo is staying dry at night and at nap time now. But I'm not gonna lie...I still put a pull up on him at night. He has had a COUPLE of accidents and I was just SO OVER changing sheets! But he mostly stays dry so I just reuse that pull-up the next night. (Even though I bent the rules on that one, it has worked for us because Mylo had never been in a pull-up before. I presented them as "big boy" night time underwear that need to stay dry.)
We did have a period about 2 weeks into it where Mylo was holding his poop for a couple of days! Poor guy. For some reason it was just scaring him to go. I resorted back to the potty prizes, made a big deal at how great it was when he DID go, and we've been fine ever since!
That's all I can think of for now, so I'll leave you with this:
I have emailed with Lora Jenson, writer/creator of 3daypottytraining.com, and she is going to do a giveaway of TWO ebooks on my review site SIMPLE! (they are a $24 value for each!) I am super excited to host this giveaway! It will happen next month, so keep an eye on SIMPLE for that!
...is that of a happy potty-trained boy.
I know that I've done a post about it before, but I feel as though potty training a child is one of the big accomplishments of my life! Anyone else??!
Besides, I've got an 18 month old who's next in line, and I want documentation of exactly what we did to a) remember what to do! and b) encourage/help you with what worked for us.
First off, my #1 best parenting tip of all time...
3daypottytraining.com
(you can thank me later, because on day 1 you'll want to shoot me.)
Before we started, I prepared the scene. Big boy underwear, lots of stickers, potty prizes, potty seat, games/activities. Mylo had just had his birthday party the day before, so we had lots of new stuff to play with during our intense 3 days of potty training.
Because yes, you quit diapers cold turkey and basically attach yourself to your child so you can be there for every single accident and get them to the potty.
We started the day with a "potty ceremony".
I explained to Mylo what we were doing - that he was a BIG BOY now and ONLY goes pee and poop in the potty now.
We threw out allll the diapers.

(well, I put them in a clean garbage bag and had Mylo put that in the garbage can in the garage. Then later I retrieved those diapers since I needed them for Phin! I would think that's a good way to do it for cloth diapers as well.)
Then I presented Mylo with all his new super-cool big boy underwear. (I bought like 20 pairs.)

Then we spent the next few days side by side. The importance of that is so I could catch him going EACH TIME. They really do start getting it...eventually. :) I promise.
The beginning is NO FUN. I suggest putting towels and Lysol wipes throughout your house for quick access.
Anytime Mylo peed/pooped in the potty, even just a drop, I made a big deal. Stickers, prizes, phone calls to daddy, etc.
I let him pick something from the "potty prize" bag whenever I was especially proud of him.

I just stocked up on LITTLE stuff from the dollar section at target, or wrapped up stuff we already had but wasn't used yet. Some of the things were matchbox cars, markers, Diego bandaids, etc.
The sticker charts were, and still ARE a BIG HIT around here. First, it satisfies something in me due to my life-long obsession with stickers. Also, Mylo loves it. I found a new use for unused scrapbook paper...
Mylo loves to put a sticker on one of the vehicles. The last potty chart was circles, and he really got a kick out of putting a sticker on each circle.
Nighttime? No problem.
We followed the 3daypottytraining.com nighttime routine and it has really worked for us. Yes, the first week is horrible having to change sheets every morning and/or middle of the night. But it was worth the effort because Mylo is staying dry at night and at nap time now. But I'm not gonna lie...I still put a pull up on him at night. He has had a COUPLE of accidents and I was just SO OVER changing sheets! But he mostly stays dry so I just reuse that pull-up the next night. (Even though I bent the rules on that one, it has worked for us because Mylo had never been in a pull-up before. I presented them as "big boy" night time underwear that need to stay dry.)
We did have a period about 2 weeks into it where Mylo was holding his poop for a couple of days! Poor guy. For some reason it was just scaring him to go. I resorted back to the potty prizes, made a big deal at how great it was when he DID go, and we've been fine ever since!
That's all I can think of for now, so I'll leave you with this:
I have emailed with Lora Jenson, writer/creator of 3daypottytraining.com, and she is going to do a giveaway of TWO ebooks on my review site SIMPLE! (they are a $24 value for each!) I am super excited to host this giveaway! It will happen next month, so keep an eye on SIMPLE for that!
No comments:
Post a Comment