Thursday, May 13, 2010

Wanna hear a story?



When my father-in-law reminds me I haven't updated my blog in awhile, I know its high time I post something. :)

Where have I been? Well, as you know we did the whole potty training thing. (SUCCESSFULLY I might add!) Then we had some fevers going around. Now I've being playing catch up this week on life. AND we've got a whole new computer situation in this house which I will DEFINITELY be blogging about SOON because its a wonderful story. But with that comes loading all the programs and what not, in which I'm thankful for my husband and his skillzzzz.

So until I get back to my regular blogging with adorable pics of my incredible boys, I will tell you a story. It's a good one of how God speaks.

As you may have read in previous posts, at the age of 22 I moved out to Denver, CO to do a church plant. There were 15 or so of us that stepped out in faith and said "yes" to the Lord. We started The Arvada Vineyard, which is now a growing, thriving church. (and is apparently called The Mile High Vineyard now which I did not know! Ha!)

I have been asked more times than I can count "Why Denver?" And several other questions generally asking what in the crap were we thinking.

Well here's SOME of the story:

It all started with Jay Pathak, the man that would be our pastor. He and his wife Danielle felt a "nudging" for quite sometime to go plant a church in Arvada, a suburb of Denver. They had stopped there on a roadtrip coming back from California and God had stirred something in their hearts. There were several other subtle ways the Lord pressed Arvada upon their hearts, but then the Lord did something kind of hilarious (in my opinion) to kind of "seal the deal" that Arvada was the place He was leading them.

Jay was working as a telemarketer at some rinky-dink company. When people would call to make some sort of reservation to a hotel, car rental place, etc, at the end of the call they would be asked if they'd like to hear more about such and such product. IF, and that's IF they said yes, they would be transferred to Jay's company. As a phone worker, Jay would take every so many calls depending on how many agents were working. I can't remember the number, but let's just say 10 for the story's sake. Now, whatever it was that Jay was selling, it was RARE to make a sale. Like RARE. Once you make a sale, THEN you take the customer's info, such as WHERE THEY LIVE. This one evening, Jay was at work, takes a call, and somehow immediately makes a sale. Rare. Gets the customer's info...they're from Arvada, CO. Hmmm...weird. Jay then takes another call. Makes a sale. SUPER RARE. Gets the customers info. They're from Arvada, CO. Takes another call. SALE. Arvada, CO. Jay's manager comes over to congratulate his excellent work for the evening. Jay is in shock. Another call. Another sale. Another person from Arvada. This continues to happen. Jay starts crying. More calls, more sales, ALL FROM ARVADA. Remember, Jay is taking every 10th or so call. Every one is from Arvada. At one point Jay's manager comes over to inform him he's broken the sales record. More calls. More sales. ALL from Arvada. Jay sobs, his boss recommends he take the rest of the evening off.

Jay has many more stories of how God made it QUITE CLEAR that he was to do this church plant in Arvada, CO. But I think this one's the best. :)

I love how God speaks. What a sense of humor God has! He must have gotten a good chuckle out of that evening.

And you know what? I have MY OWN story of how God clearly spoke to ME about going on this church plant.

And Jon has an AMAZING one too.

Did you know that's how we got together? :)

I'll share those stories another time...


No comments: