Friday, July 29, 2011

"But you're Super Mommy..."







...at least according to Phin. A couple weeks back when his ball rolled under the car, and he asked me to get it, I said I couldn't. His response? "But you're super mommy!"


Well since you put it that way I'll see what I can do!! I'm a sucker for flattery.


Of course, THE LAST thing I feel like is a super mom. Especially these days when I'm giving everything I've got JUST to keep things afloat around here. But I'm gonna have to tell you guys...today, I had a super mom moment.


Today we left our cozy country home and ventured to the big city. We headed to COSI, our local science center. While there, we met up with my sister and her kids to check out the dinosaur exhibit!


ROAR!!



We of course had a great time, then headed home in time for naps. ('cause mama's tired.)


So we're all loaded in the car, and are 5 minutes into our 35 minute drive when Desmond starts SCREAMING. Like, screaming. At this point we are getting onto the highway, and every exit for the next several miles lead into the undesirable parts of town. No way am I pulling off to park my car and breastfeed my kid in the ghetto.


Everyone's a frantic mess...the big boys are upset about how loud Desi is, and mommy's stressing because its just freaking LOUD in the car. I finally get to a semi-safe part of town, pull off, and park in an elementary school parking lot.


Here's the "super-mommy" part. First of all, it'll help you to know that we have our van configured like this for optimal convenience of having 3 kids in carseats:


Yes, we removed one of the bucket seats which gives us easy access to buckle in the big boys.


Ok, so I know I'm going to need to nurse Desi, which means we'll be stopped at least 10 minutes. I toss in a DVD for the boys and hop in the back. I get Desi out of his carseat, sit down on the floor and start nursing him. Within my reach? A bag of snacks. Yesss. I offer them up to some very willing toddlers, who are ever so happy to stay buckled in their seats as long as they are watching Pokoyo and being fed. So I'm nursing Desi, and I hear an explosion in his nether-regions. (Am I the only one who finds satisfaction in that FOR them? Like man, that HAD to be a relief to expel!) Anyhow, yep, you guessed it...MAJOR BLOWOUT diaper. But alas, super mommy is prepared with plenty of extra diapers and wipes, plus an extra outfit. I even have a trashbag thanks to the Target bag those snacks were in. So, I get Desi all changed, finished nursing him, buckled him back in, and we were on our way to a very peaceful 20 minute drive home.

*pats self on back*


Now everyone is napping. At the same time. In their own rooms. Even Desi.


SUCCESS!





4 comments:

Knit and Purl Mama said...

Ha ha! My eldest calls me super mom sometimes too - I think it's cute.

That's exactly how our van is set up - to the tee! Our 4th seat goes in the ground of the car (stow and go) so I can pull it back up if I ever need it. I do have my oldest in a booster seat though, so we have 1 baby bucket, 1 forward facing car seat and one booster - one of each stage!

Shelly said...

Good for you to recognize that you ARE capable...sometimes! And toot your own horn! We moms are so often down on ourselves, making self-deprecating remarks, or attempting to make light of our struggles...but sometimes, we REALLY ARE super moms because that's what God equipped us to do and HE gives us the tools to do the job! It's nothing to ashamed of! Go, Kate!!

Anonymous said...

You are a Super Mom! That's awesome. And BRILLIANT configuration of the car. I never would have thought of that.

In Everything said...

feels good... you did it!! Venturing out with 3:) You ARE a SUper MOM... I knew it all along:)