Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Snowman School Snack


At Phinean's preschool, the special birthday kid gets to be in charge of snacks.  This is a BIG DEAL to the kids.  I wanted to step away from the typical cupcakes and do something equally fun and special.  Phin has really been into snowmen lately, so I started out with that as my theme.




I combined past experience with new ideas, and of course inspiration from Pinterest.  If you're interested in taking on this task, I'll gladly share how I made it happen.


What you'll need:
  • regular sized marshmallows
  • bananas cut into thirds
  • candy coating bark chocolate, found by the chocolate chips and such
  • wax paper
  • sticks to assemble them on - I found these red peppermint strip sticks at World Market

Melt your candy coating bark chocolate according to package instructions.  You will not need the entire package.  I only used 2 chunks for this project, but I only made 14.

 
Once chocolate is melted, pour into a ziploc baggie and cut a VERY SMALL hole in the corner.  You don't want this too big or your chocolate decorations will come out too sloppy.

Lay out wax paper and create hat shapes with your chocolate.  Be sure to add a little "tail" at the bottom of the hat.  This will allow you to stick the hat down into the marshmallow.  Yep, genius.

(these harden in a few minutes so you can peel them off the wax paper easily.)

Cut up your bananas, lay them out, and use chocolate bark to put buttons on them.

But most importantly, ask your helper to count how many bananas you have.  Wouldn't want to be short on bananas.



DON'T let the gorgeous blue eyes distract you along the way.  We've got things to accomplish here people.




Add smiley faces to the marshmallows you will use as heads.



Now you're ready to assemble onto the sticks.  1st put on a plain marshmallow, than a banana for the body, then the marshmallow head.  Use a knife to puncture the top of the marshmallow so the hat slides in easily without breaking.

And here they are, all snug and ready to be annihilated by a mob of sugar hungry 4 year olds.  


1 comment:

Shannon said...

Ok....SERIOUSLY adorable!!