I've been thinking about, and looking into what I now know is called "baby wearing". Basically, its just having your baby with you most of the time in some sort of carrier. I barely used my carrier when Mylo was really little, simply because I had such severe hip and lower back problems during my pregnancy. But the more I look into it, and read about its benefits, I'm thinking I'll probably put more effort into using a carrier next time around. It just seems like a natural thing to do, and psychologically beneficial for both mom and baby. I have LOVED every aspect of breastfeeding, and this "baby wearing" seems like it goes hand in hand with that. This blog I found explains it really well.
My friend Shelly let me borrow this awesome Mei Tei carrier that she made. I've used it for the past couple of days, and Mylo has been in heaven. He has absolutely loved every second of being in there, close to me, even at 11 months old! I even feel like its benefited him psychologically, just after a couple of days! I would really like to get this carrier now that he ways 21 lbs! It's called the Patapum Baby Carrier.
It looks like it has great support for both mom and baby. I will tell you that after 2 days of carrying Mylo in the carrier, my shoulders and upper back are SO sore. But I think starting off when they're newborns, and just continuing to do it, your body probably just gets used to it. There's something about this that just seems natural and right to me...so I'm excited to look further into it.This is the carrier I want for the next baby. (Insert here angels singing and the light of heaven shining down on the carrier)...
This is the Maya Wrap. (don't forget about the angels singing in the background.) I love it and will have it. You can just tuck your snuggle-saurus (aka, baby) right in there and take him everywhere! And that piece of fabric hanging down is a built in cover for while you're nursing! There's all sorts of positions you can put your baby in with this particular carrier, and it holds babies up to 35 lbs. Shelly had one that she demonstrated for me, but I was only allowed to look at the wrap for 2 seconds or less, wasn't allowed to breathe on it, let alone touch it. Ok, I'm exaggerating. But mom's do love it that much. And I must have one. : )
SO HERE'S YOU'RE PART....
I'd love to hear your opinions, comments, etc. What has worked for you and your baby, what hasn't? Are there any "baby-wearers" out there that would like to add their 2 cents? I'd love to hear from you!
By the way, I've found this AWESOME website called Attached to Baby where you can find these, and a gazillion other carriers.
*Added Later*

5 comments:
Okay, I have to tell you that I could do without every other piece of baby equipment EXCEPT my sling or, later, carrier. I LOVED the maya wrap and used it constantly. It was definitely a must have. It took a little while to get used to it...for him and for me, but once I did, it was the best thing EVER!!!! I have two older kiddos, and this really helped me to be able to get to everybody. It was like an extra arm. Now, my little guy was never really little...10 lb., 2 oz. at birth, so by about 8 months or so, he was heavy enough to cause the sling to creep down so that I would have to continually cinch it up again (this was when he was it the hip sitting position). Found several other interesting carriers, like the Ergo, but finally went with the Sutemi. We both loved it. Again, a little time to get used to it. But really a great carrier. I know that some people use this carrier with young infants, but to me, there's nothing like a maya wrap for a baby until she gets too heavy. If you have any questions about either carrier, I'd be happy to answer them. Babywearing is my thing!
Blog stalker here...hope that doesn't creep you out. :-) I LOVE your blog & the more I read it, the more I think "I wish we lived closer. We would totally be friends!" Anyway, babywearing...with my 2nd I had a Peanutshell sling & LOVED it! It was my definite must-have item and I don't go anywhere without it. I too, find myself drooling over the Maya wrap. Guess I'll have to try that with #3.
Thanks for sharing your faith and motherhood experiences!
In Him,
Missy
Thanks Missy...you're so sweet! If anyone is a blog stalker, it's me! I LOVE reading other blogs, especially other mom's blogs. It's so fun! So I totally don't think you're weird at all. And I SO often find myself saying, "Oh my gosh, if I lived close to this person, we'd TOTALLY be friends!"
Hi, I came across you on Simple. I am Drea's friend and saw that you won the pail liner. Congrats! I LOVE babywearing! I love a good ring sling, a wrap, and a mei tai. It's SO hard to decide! I really love the ring sling for quick trip in a store or bank or walking across the yard to my inlaws or something. A wrap is great for your newborn or older baby-the most comfy type of carrier. I LOVE the Moby wrap which you can find on Attached to Baby. Now that Tate is about 9 months, I am loving Mei Tais. They are really easy and the baby can move around and the weight is distributed great! It's hard to chose a favorite!! I have terrible back problems sice high school(realted to large chest) so the carriers are great,but Tate is getting a little heavy for long wear. We're praying for another baby, so then I'll have another little one to wear(not that that's why I want a new baby!hehe)
Take care.
I'm not quite sure how I stumbled upon your blog, but I love it! We have three little sprouts (6, 2, and 4 months). With #1, I didn't even know what babywearing was. With #2 I bought a cabinbaby sling, and barely used it. With #3 I am using the cabinbaby sling, Baby Bjorn, and am looking for a good Mei Tai or Maya. I love babywearing. I don't do it all day, but have found that if she is fussy, or is just needing some extra love, I'll put her in so I can get things done around the house. I love going for walks with her in the sling. What brand is the Mei Tai that you borrowed from your friend? I love the print on it! Take care and good luck with your babywearing. :)
Post a Comment