
I could eat baked goods and sugary treats all day long and be happy! I just don't really think about "nutritional value" when I'm figuring out what to eat, I just grab what'll fill me up, I suppose. I don't overeat, per say, just don't eat well. I'm feeling like its time for a change.
I love reading other mom's blogs and seeing what they're doing. There are a couple that are very inspiring to me, so I've gotten a few recipes from theirs.
I've also discovered that Whole Foods has an entire recipe section on their website! Its got all sorts of healthy, organic, natural, delicious recipes! And you can do an on-line recipe box, which I find very convenient.So I'm excited about this change we're embarking on as a family. What's great is that Jon is all about it too. We actually love healthy food. But we also love sugar (!), so we're giving that the boot. We want to raise Mylo to make healthy food choices too.
So since I get great ideas from other blog mamas, I'm going to post some ideas as I discover new healthy things that I feel are worth sharing. Here's my first: Swiss Chard. Ever had it? Mmm...it's good. It tastes like a mix between spinach and romaine lettuce. Its a quick and delicious side dish to add to just about any meal. Here's how I prepare it:

Get a bundle of swiss chard and cut it up in the same manner you would with like Romaine lettuce. Saute it in about 1 tbsp olive oil with some garlic (maybe 1 clove?...just however much you like). Add just a pinch of salt (its actually sort of naturally salty, so you don't even need the salt, but I love salt), and whatever your favorite herb mixture is. I love Mrs. Dash's tomato-basil-garlic and use it in just about everything.
Saute the swiss chard until it just starts to wither and soften. (Sort of like when you cook spinach.) But don't let it get too withered, its really good with a little "crunch" to it.
You know how everyone always says, "make sure to eat leafy greens...", well this is one of those. It has great health benefits, its quick, easy, and delicious! So try it!
3 comments:
Good for you!!! I love to snack and graze all day. So that makes it easy to grab quick foods. yuck. so not good for us. having Lupus I really should be extra careful with what i eat too. SO many foods are known inflammatories (sp?) and can aggravate lupus. So I really need to shape up my eating again too!
Oh, and glad I could make you laugh today!
I went almost totally organic for a while and I felt great! It was really awesome. But it got kind of expensive so now I try to buy the most important things (to me) organic and natural and try not to think about what is in the rest of my food!
Hmmm, does that Mrs. Dash seasoning have MSG in it??? MSG "hides" under about 12 different names; you may have to Google it to find out...
Post a Comment