Thursday, May 15, 2008

Newborn



I am so excited to have a newborn baby again! I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Here are some of the things I'm most excited about...

Breastfeeding: Oh, how I loved to breastfeed. But to be honest, it was something that caused a lot of anxiety in me. I was always worried if he was getting enough, if I'd know when he needed to eat, if my milk was nutritious enough, etc. (I was just really worried and anxious about EVERYTHING though...being a new mom is scary!) This time, I'm going to make sure I'm more relaxed mentally and emotionally about it. Babies are born with instincts that they just KNOW how to breastfeed! I want to be more trusting in the fact that this is God's perfect and amazing plan for mom's and babies, and really enjoy it more.

Babywearing: I'm officially a babywearer. I'm in the club. : ) I'm not going to wear Mylo much longer so I don't hurt my body at all. But I CAN'T WAIT to wear my newborn! I rarely did this with Mylo, and I'm going to pretty much do the opposite with this baby. I'm going to make a ring sling because I think they look great for being out, and provide that nice long "tail" to cover up for nursing. I'm also getting a Moby Wrap for around the house. Which leads me to my next...

Kangaroo Care: I did this all the time with Mylo. I LOVED the feeling of having Mylo's skin against mine. The Moby Wrap will be great for this because it looks so soft and comfy. I used to have Mylo against my chest and just put my bathrobe around us. I was scared to put him down when I had to go to the bathroom (!), so I'd just take him with me. I became an expert at holding a baby and my bathrobe up while peeing, but can't tell you the amount of times the waist tie would fall into the toilet after I peed! I think the Moby Wrap will help with this. ; )

Arm Chub: Oooooh! Don't you just love those little chubby baby arms?!!! How do their forearms and wrists get so deliciously chunky?!

Baby toes: I could have popped off Mylo's toes like little kernals of corn and popped in my mouth! So scrumptious!

There are SO MANY things I'm looking forward to. I love swaddling, their little heads, those Soothie pacies that are half the size of their heads (!), watching them sleep, how the keep their fists up by their faces....and the list goes on.....!

What are some of your favorite things about newborns?

5 comments:

Jamie said...

I can't wait to have a newborn again too. They grow up too fast. Audrey was just born yesterday, and now two? How did that happen? That's my goal this time...cherish every moment more. This is going to be our last baby and I'm already crazy senimental about it.

When is your due date?

Too many sweet things to name...their little baby smell, swaddling newborns like litle burritos, warm footie pajamas, the way those little fingers grip yours.

McSarah said...

I think you've said it all baby!
Yes, I think I might have been tempted to pull off a kernal or two. : ) I might have to come over and have baby time once in a while. Can I can I???

Max's Family said...

Hi Kate,
I found your blog through your comment on Suzanne's. I'm also pregnant, so I loved reading your post about newborns. I'm looking forward to many of the same things you listed. I can't wait to hear the sweet sounds newborns make, the way they lay on your chest all scrunched up in a ball, how when you pick them up (like out of the carseat) they scrunch their body up, I could go on and on. Anyway, the reason I clicked on your blog is because we are thinking about naming our baby Kate but are having a terrible time thinking of a middle name! I saw your name was Kate, so thought maybe you would have a suggestion!:) If we name her Kate, her first name will be Kate, not an extension of that like Kathryn. Anyway, just wondered what your middle name is??
Thanks, Kelly
kjmjules.wordpress.com

Rachel Marie said...

I love the stillness of a newborn- having them just quietly lay on you and sleep. How quickly that ends.
I recently discovered moby wraps and I've considered getting one. I bought a hotsling with my last baby, but never felt completely comfortable with it- don't know if it was too tight or what. Do you know people with moby's- what do they say about them? Is it comfortable to wear when you're sitting as well as standing?

Homegrown Tribe said...

you're so cute! I 'ditto' everything you said. :)

Brittany