Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Food!

First off, can we just talk about how wonderful my husband is?! Every time I feel like things are a little "too much" for me, he steps in like Superman and saves the day. I'm sure you got the impression that yesterday was one of those "too much" days for me. When Jon came home, he rough housed and chased Mylo around, which was JUST what he needed to get out some of his ornery-ness! Then after we put him down, Jon vacuumed the floors, then I mopped the hardwood floors. After that, I was pooped, and decided the smushed up banana in the carpet could wait until morning. Well, I woke up this morning to no banana! That's right, Jon cleaned it. AND he had read on the internet that mixing vinegar with water make a good, natural carpet-cleaning solution. So he did just that! He needs a "Green Daddy" t-shirt! I love my man. He is my rock and I can't imagine doing life without him.

Ok, onto the food part of my post. It is really important to me to not only give Mylo healthy foods, but give him a wide variety. I've been on the lookout for healthy options, and have created a couple dishes Mylo loves. I thought I would share, since I love reading recipes on other blogs! My friend Brittany always has good recipes on her blog. (She's also like super-mom with 4 ADORABLE boys and twins on the way!)

Here's the first: Broccoli Mac 'n Cheese
I swore I would be the mac 'n cheese mom, but man, its just so easy. I like to use Annie's because its organic and you can get it with wheat pasta.
1 box mac 'n cheese
1/2 cup steamed brocoli (to save time and energy, I've been steaming broccoli just by putting it in a bowl with a little bit of water, cover with a plate, then microwave 3 min.)
1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar
Make mac 'n cheese according to directions. Add cheddar for extra cheesiness. Cut broccoli into small pieces and stir into pasta. Easy-peezy!

Here's Mylo eating some recently. Despite the oh-so-serious look on his face, he really likes it!



Here's what's left of the cauliflower gratin I made the other day. Sadly, Mylo has only eaten one serving of it. And although he loves it, I LOVE IT MORE! I can't stop eating it! I am DEFINITELY making this again. I got the recipe from food network.

Click here for recipe.

I did change it up a bit. Instead of Gruyere I used Swiss, and instead of Parmesan, I used cheddar. I also added 1 chicken breast that I pre-baked and cut into small chunks. It is DELICIOUS!

Did I mention that there is a donut monster on the loose in my house? I just opened this box this morning, and there are FIVE missing! Okay, okay....it's ME! I know. I can't help it! I shouldn't have bought the donuts in the first place. They're my weakness! But they're SO good! I just ate 3 while blogging this. I would NEVER feed my kids this way, so why do I do it? Oh well, I'm pregnant, now's the time, right? Don't worry, I eat a lot of healthy stuff too. : )

3 comments:

Homegrown Tribe said...

super man indeed! Oh and I'm not super mom... we just have a super god that makes me look like super mom. :)

We love mac & cheese and love to add broccoli, cauliflower & carrots. YUM! It is easy... except it's not becoming very cost effective for us anymore. ha! We need 4 boxes to feed us for lunch

brittany

Lakeville Vertical said...

I have a weakness for donuts also and when I was preggos I didn't hold back. I figured it was the one time that I could get away with it. You know feeding for two and all. Had to laugh about the banana. Sorry. To make you feel better my aunt found her little guy smoothing a whole container of yogurt into his bedroom carpet a few years back. That one took some time to clean up. Oh and one more thing. My little guy hardly ever wore a bib. He hated it and ripped it off every chance he got so I gave up. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow and their personality. :)

Sarah said...

We'll have to try Annie's, I wasn't sure if it would be good, but I bet Luke would go for it with broccoli & extra cheese! By the way, he's been insisting on wearing Maddie's (the dog's) bib for the past few days...

this is a totally unrelated question, but when you made Mylo's bday stuff with Cafe Press, did you scan your image or was it digital? I designed something for Luke's upcoming bday and I really want to use it, but I'm not quite sure if I'm computer savvy enough & I don't want to mess it up :)