Friday, August 8, 2008

Poop-slinging

We've been having some sleep issues around here lately. And today, we had an extra special incident at nap time. First of all, the last three nights at bedtime have been FULL of tantrums, crying, etc. And some nap times have been this way too. Jon and I don't mind letting Mylo "cry it out" when we know he's ok and has everything he needs.

Today at nap time, I let him cry for about 45 minutes, and finally decided to go up there. When I walk into his room, I notice his diaper is laying on the floor. Hmmm...that's never happened before. As I get closer to him, I notice a heavy aroma of poop. Lovely. I decide to turn the light on, and we have a definite poop situation. I have a screaming, red-faced child, COVERED in poop. It was caked in his hair, all over his face, hands, legs, feet, etc. There was poop all over his sheet, blankie, stuffed animals. It was also ALL over the crib slats, with nice big pieces of poop on the ledge! Wonderful.

"Please Mother, it wasn't THAT bad"...


Umm, ACTUALLY, it was.

Poopy Pacie anyone?...


So I carefully picked up Mylo, as to not get ANY poop on myself. Straight to the bath we went, where he SCREAMED the entire time. Poor guy was SO tired and I'm sure EXHAUSTED from all that crying (and poop-slinging.) After I got him cleaned up with a DIAPER ON, we got into my bed with a book to relax. He snuggled up real close and fell asleep almost immediately. He NEVER does that, so I must say it was heavenly to be all snuggled up with my boy. But I of course couldn't relax so much thinking of all the POOP I had to clean up!

So, needless to say, I will MAKE SURE Mylo has PANTS on when I put him down! I didn't realize he could even take his own diaper off!

After this incident, I decided to consult my two favorite parenting books...Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth and Touchpoints by T. Berry Brazelton. BOTH books basically confirm that these sleep issues are a common phase for toddlers to go through around this age. They both suggest continuing your normal bedtime routine, and allowing your child to cry it out. Each night should get a little easier. Let's hope! Because listening to your baby cry for an hour is a little trying! (But how am I to know if he can't sleep because he's schmeared poop all over himself?!) Here's my favorite quote from Touchpoints...

"Putting a toddler to bed at this age is not for the fainthearted."

I concur.


10 comments:

Daniel and Melissa said...

kate, we had the same sort of poop incident with asher...made me so frustrated and disgusted.
weisbluth and brazelton are two of my favs also. i gave both of those books to jules when she had emma.
lots of love. melissa

Mrs. G said...

Ewwwwww! I hope you don't have too many more surprises like that one!

Lauralynn3 said...

oh man, I have two children and with my first I used to go crazy when he would poop right after I laid him down. I could never guess when he was going to poop. I get so scared when they are crying now and sometimes go in the room just to smell for poop!haha My 1 year old is actually in a nap now with just a shirt!ahhhhhh maybe this is a warning,hehe

basebell6 said...

my friend's daughter always took her diaper off at night so he resorted to duct taping it on. it confused and baffled her but did the trick!! haha.

Ashlie said...

oh my goodness!!! hopefully things get better really quickly!lxjgyqsc

Maggie said...

That was a hilarious story! I can SO see something like that in our future with Henry. Well, at least life is never boring, right? :)

My2Gs said...

I have discovered since having had a girl first and now a boy....Boys are an entirely different breed! Oh my....what do I have to look forward to?

Lakeville Vertical said...

The thing about boys is that they will try anything and everything at least once. Diapers have tabs that can be pulled and pulled they must be. My little guy did the same thing and I always had him dressed and he would often pull off clothes and diapers. Most often he would just potty but occasionally I would find a lovely mess. Oh the fun has just begun my friend. Life will never be the same. Mylo is so adorable!

My2Gs said...

You've been tagged :-) Stop by The Shipman Family for details.

Shelly said...

I'm laughing out loud!! I have this major poop phobia- if it's anywhere but in a diaper or in the toilet, I gag and sometimes throw up. We've had a couple of poopie crib incidents, but my favorite was when Alec was a toddler and he pooped in the bathtub. Fortunately, Marvin worked only 4 blocks away and rushed home to save me from the ferocious log floating in my precious baby's bathwater!
And yes, I agree with the quote from the book!!!