Hey, good news everybody! There was NO mercury in the ink used for my tattoo. As you can imagine, I was less than enthusiastic about the thought of mercury in my body due to a stupid tattoo! I really should have been a little wiser in doing my research before all of this, but I just didn't think of such uncommon problems. I have 3 other tattoos and have never had any problems with them.
I have really been sick about all of this, not only for MY OWN health, but for the health of Phin because I'm breastfeeding him. (So YES, anonymous commenter, it IS a huge concern for me...I'll get back to YOU later.) As you already know, I am now under the care of my dermatologist for this, I had a very lengthy conversation with our pediatrician yesterday, who is now doing research on the matter for me and will be getting back to me. I have also had a few conversations with the tattoo artist, AND spoke with the manufacturer of the ink used. I am just really thankful there is no mercury in the ink. I have a list of ingredients of what goes into the ink, and will be researching that today.
Bottom line: it is most likely that my skin is having either a "sensitivity", or allergic reaction to the ingredients (red pigment #122 and #210) that go into red ink. (Something that is more common than you would think.) I am, however, on antibiotics to be on the safe side. (And YES, I am on a type of antibiotic that IS safe while breastfeeding...I checked with the dermatologist, the pharmacist, our pediatrician, and looked on-line.)
Let's now address anonymous commenting. I got one on my last post, asking if I was concerned about how the mercury will affect my breastfeeding baby. (I deleted it by the way.) Well, in a nutshell, my kids are ALWAYS my number one concern...ALWAYS. And the fact that this person said this annonymously is a bit frustrating to me. If YOU have a concern for me or my family, I WELCOME your insight. But AT LEAST let me know who you are so I can respond, ask questions to you to see if you can lead me to answers/ideas/etc. I have a bad taste in my mouth about annonymous commenters due to my friend Brittany's blog. Poor girl and her family have basically been verbally assaulted by people who are not brave enough to "show their face". So I've turned off the ability for people to comment annonymously. I DO welcome advice, ideas, constructive criticism, etc. But I at least want to know who you are.
Anyway, my tattoo IS looking better! I'm hopeful that it will heal up nicely and look great. I'll post another picture once its all healed. :)

4 comments:
I SO glad for you that the ink doesn't have mercury. I can't imagine worrying that something I did to myself would affect my nursing baby. I am glad that your tatoo is looking and feeling better. You heard about my facebook incident, it is so frustrating. I will be praying that all the ingredients turn out to be as close to 100% safe as possible for both you and Phin.
oh i am so glad it doesn't have mercury in it....
i'd love to hear what you find out IS in it...... maybe i can convince paul to let me if it's not that bad. :)
those anonymous commenter's are something else aren't they!
britt
I am so glad you dont have to worry about the risk of mercury anymore. And I am sorry that a rude anonymous commenter was so degrading to make it sound like you didnt care about the health of your own children. You are a wondeful mother!
I would like to see how the tatoo looks after its all healed up. Was there any sentimental reason to get the star? Sounds like it would be a good story...
have a post with all of your tatts, cause i didn't know you had others than the whitey and your star... show us show us!!! hee hee, or you could show me at church : )
Post a Comment