Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sleep Training

I have been working hard the last week and a half on sleep training this little guy...


(and no, taking pictures of them with a flash while they're napping is probablynot proper procedure when trying to sleep train them!)

This is the book we use for encouragement, instruction, insight, etc. on how to have good little sleepers! It really worked WONDERS for Mylo, and we're hoping it will do the same for Phinean. Mylo has really always been a good sleeper. But now, he's an AWESOME sleeper. He sleeps about 13 hours at night and takes a 2-3 hour nap during the day. He gets super excited about taking naps and going to bed at night. He giggles, gathers his blankey and monkey, etc. as if we're about to do something SUPER fun. :) He didn't sleep ALL the way through the night until I was completely done breastfeeding him at 1 year. He woke up once to eat, but then went right back to sleep.

Phin has given me a real run for my money these past almost five months in the sleep department. He likes to eat every couple of hours throughout the day AND night. Oh joy for me. I have NO IDEA what a full night's sleep is anymore. And yes, I am WELL AWARE that at this age he SHOULD be able to go the whole night without having to eat. Should being the key word.

So I'm following the guidelines this book lays out, for the most part. There's no book that can take the place of your maternal insinct though, so I follow THAT first and foremost. The last week and a half I've been working really hard to get Phin on a good, healthy sleep schedule. He is know taking several good naps throughout the day in his crib. He's still eating alot throughout the night, so I'm hoping that'll change soon. We'll see.

So what are YOUR best sleep tips? Or you can tell me your horror stories too. Or both. :)

3 comments:

Lyndsay said...

We had the same issues with our boys. Owen was and is a champ in the sleep department. Jack is 10 old and he was totally different. We used Baby Wise with Owen and it fit him to perfectly. With Jack we used the Ferber Method and it worked some what. We are still struggling with him getting two good naps a day, but he's finally gotten to the point where he doesn't wake up at night or if he does he fusses a bit and knows Mommy's not going to get him and he goes back to sleep. I know for me letting Jack cry has been harder than letting Owen. I think with the second one you realize how short this baby phase is and you want to cherish it so you get a little soft on the second baby. Now our boys are sleeping in the same room during the night. Owen naps in the spare bedroom during the day. They go to bed at 7:40pm, Jack is up anywhere from 6:30 - 7:30 and Owen is up around 7:30 - 8:00. It did take a couple months to get all the details worked out. Keep at it and Phin will get on the band wagon.

Tiffany said...

So you know I'm a HUGE fan of that book. It is my sleep bible. Let me know how things go with Phin. Reagan was sleeping well through the night, waking up only once. Now, for the past month, it has been a nightmare. She is up every one to two hours for the pacifier and is taking TWO bottles now?! What has happened?? Ru was a dream sleeper and Reagan is giving me a run for my money just like Phin. Reagan does seem to have some breathing issues so I'm wondering if that is also part of the problem. Can't suck on a paci if you can't breathe through your nose!! She's not sick, but I'm going to talk to my dr. about what we can do to help her breathe. Elevating the bed, suctioning, using humidifiers, nothing is working so far.

Oh, and about buying matching outfits, it is totally NOT a necessary buy. I never go to the stores looking for matching outfits (well, with the exception of Easter. Polka dots somehow became the theme there). In fact, I usually go, with coupons in hand, to buy the off season clothing for Ruthie for NEXT YEAR at great prices. Somehow I get sucked into the cuteness of being matchy matchy. I love seeing them in outfits that go together. I don't know what it is...besides an addiction:)

Debbi said...

I am still working on this too, but the last month or so they have started taking 2 good naps and sleeping 11 hours at night.
A few ideas... First, at night have your hubby (not you because you smell so yummy to them!) offer a bottle of water instead of breastfeeding. Of course only do this if you KNOW he is getting the nutrician he needs during the day. Secondly, if he takes a pacifier, offer that instead and do all you can to get him to sleep without nursing for 30min. After that if he is not asleep, nurse.
I hope you get a good stretch of sleep soon!