Its kinda like this...

Only we do funerals, apparently.
Earlier tonight, right before leading worship at a (yes, another) funeral...

What's ironic to me is that people who normally look like this...


...are doing funerals.
But hey, somebody's gotta be giggling in the background during the service, so they might as well get Michael Hansen and I in the building. I didn't realize there was someone out there that was sillier than me, but there is. And its fun that I get to lead worship with him, not only at regular church services, but I guess now regularly at funerals.
Ok, maybe regularly is a bit of a stretch - its only been two.
I swore them off after the last one we did where I SOBBED MY EYEBALLS out of their sockets and I could BARELY sing and looked like a raccoon from my runny mascara. I thought I'd be fine because I had never met the woman that passed away, but turns out she was one of the most amazing women ever who left behind a wonderful husband and two beautiful daughters after a long battle with cancer. Tragic.
So when Hansen called me yesterday to see if I could do this one, my initial thought was h-e-double hockey sticks NO. And then I remember something one of my favorite pastors mentioned to me last summer...
He said he was out to breakfast with a man from church. This man randomly mentioned, "When I die, I want Kate to sing at my funeral."
Umm...what an honor. How can you say no to that?
So I'm thinking that every time I get asked to do a funeral, I'm going to say yes. Because its nice to honor a life, even if you've never met the person, and celebrate the fact that they are in heaven with our Lord.
Therefore, I am The Funeral Singer, and I plan to make a movie.
(although tonight I PLAYED THE PIANO for the first time EVER in front of people! Whole 'nother story in itself...but I figured it'd be good practice since I am playing the piano NEXT WEEKEND for worship! Ahhhhh!)

Only we do funerals, apparently.
Earlier tonight, right before leading worship at a (yes, another) funeral...

What's ironic to me is that people who normally look like this...


...are doing funerals.
But hey, somebody's gotta be giggling in the background during the service, so they might as well get Michael Hansen and I in the building. I didn't realize there was someone out there that was sillier than me, but there is. And its fun that I get to lead worship with him, not only at regular church services, but I guess now regularly at funerals.
Ok, maybe regularly is a bit of a stretch - its only been two.
I swore them off after the last one we did where I SOBBED MY EYEBALLS out of their sockets and I could BARELY sing and looked like a raccoon from my runny mascara. I thought I'd be fine because I had never met the woman that passed away, but turns out she was one of the most amazing women ever who left behind a wonderful husband and two beautiful daughters after a long battle with cancer. Tragic.
So when Hansen called me yesterday to see if I could do this one, my initial thought was h-e-double hockey sticks NO. And then I remember something one of my favorite pastors mentioned to me last summer...
He said he was out to breakfast with a man from church. This man randomly mentioned, "When I die, I want Kate to sing at my funeral."
Umm...what an honor. How can you say no to that?
So I'm thinking that every time I get asked to do a funeral, I'm going to say yes. Because its nice to honor a life, even if you've never met the person, and celebrate the fact that they are in heaven with our Lord.
Therefore, I am The Funeral Singer, and I plan to make a movie.
(although tonight I PLAYED THE PIANO for the first time EVER in front of people! Whole 'nother story in itself...but I figured it'd be good practice since I am playing the piano NEXT WEEKEND for worship! Ahhhhh!)
1 comment:
Short and to the point: YAY for you playing keyboard next weekend!!! :o)
Dana
Post a Comment