Sunday, May 23, 2010

Popsicles: doctor's orders

Mylo has CROUP again. Seriously, it feels like we've been battling little colds/fevers/etc. so often lately. I don't know WHERE they're picking this stuff up from. ???

Mylo's "barking cough" seemed worse today so I went ahead and took him to Urgent Care. They confirmed it was croup, and apparently there's alot of it going around right now. Mylo got a dose of steroids to help open his airways, then we left there with a handful of Dora stickers and a prescription for popsicles for dinner.

I think we can handle that. :)

We almost always have these on hand as soon as the weather is nice...




Soooo delicious.

My poor widdle guy soothing his sore throat with a requested "green" popsicle...







Showing me his green tongue...




And we of course can't give one child a popsicle and not the other...




Mmmmm...is that good Phinny??...




Thank goodness for warm weather, no shirts, and...


hoses...




Makes for easy-peasy clean up.


Then I made the boys run off their sugar buzzes...




Phinny has the most hilarious run. It makes me laugh just thinking about it.

I'm hoping Mylo wakes up feeling healthy and well-rested tomorrow. I want to have a FUN week with NO sick kids!


NOW I NEED YOUR HELP...

What suggestions do you have to help build your kids' immune systems??


I mean, I feel like I'm doing a pretty decent job of the "controllable" aspects of staying free of sickness. They were both breastfed for about a year, they both get LOTS of sleep (Mylo 11 hrs at night + a 3 hr nap, Phinny 13 hrs at night + 2 2-hr. naps), they have fairly well balanced diets, we wash hands/use hand sanitizer, they aren't in day care, etc. I shouldn't complain b/c they have both been so healthy with the exception of regular colds/minor flues/etc. But I am baffled at why they're getting these minor sicknesses so often, and hoping to find some ways to prevent it!

Leave me a comment with any suggestions you have!




3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Hi Kate- I have a three year old who rarely gets a cold (maybe two a year) and I contribute it to a drink I give him. It's Bolthouse green goodness. It had every green veggie imaginable and it really tastes great. I mix it with half water in his sippy cup. It is in the produce section at the grocery store(the organic section). I give it to him at least twice a day in place of regular juice or water. I hope that helps!

Lyndsay said...

Do the boys take vitamins? Our boys take the ones from Costco...the gummie vitamins. I'm one of those people that strongly believes in exposing kids so there natural immune system will build up and be strong. My boys go in the nursery at church and at MOPS. We have play dates all the time. I don't care if other kids are sick, sure come on over. If they accidentally drink off my kids sippy I might put that one in the sink, but I'm not overly concerned about it. My boys don't tend to get sick all that often anymore.

On a side note...where did you get Phin's necklace? I really want to get a necklace for my son Jack.

Shelly said...

Hey...you know I could write you a book on what we use! *grin* But...Ava and Benji always get that croupy cough after/during a cold, and here's what we do, works every time: 3 raw garlic cloves, through a garlic press, mixed with 3T RAW honey, keep in fridge, I give about 3 tsp/kid/day spread out, and the cough responds usually in 24 hours!!!