Friday, September 3, 2010

Flipparoos and Somersaults





We started gymnastics last night.



The jury's still out on my opinion of it.

It was wonderful and terrible all at the same time, ha!

I won't go into details about my frustrations with the gym we are going to, but I have some definite frustrations with their organization and customer service skills.

But it did give me some good insight on things I need to focus on with Mylo.

He was very excited to do fliparoos (his word, not mine) and somersaults. And when it was time for our class to start, he was very frustrated that he couldn't just go do what he wanted, he had to follow what the teacher was having the entire class do. We had a couple of meltdowns over that. We also had a FULL BLOWN temper tantrum when leaving - like where everyone stops to stare at us - that was special.

That showed me that Mylo definitely needs to learn how to follow instructions from not just his parents, but from teachers. And that he's to do what he's told WHEN he's told to do it. He doesn't get to just do whatever he feels like doing. We're really working on that one at home. I'm hoping this gymnastics class teaches him this new skill OUTSIDE of home.

Since I am also homeschooling Mylo, today I really focused on telling him what to do and how to do it, and making sure he follows the instructions and completes the task. Although I want him to have opportunities to be creative and do things his own way, I think its important for him to learn to listen to instructions and do the task the way he's told.


I think gymnastics is going to have all sorts of benefits for Mylo! I am hoping this class will help him learn discipline by following instructions and doing it HOW he's told to, and patience by learning to wait his turn. And obviously the physical activity is good for him - and its FUN!

We have gymnastics every Thursday night, so I'm hoping each week gets a little bit better once he gets used to all the new concepts and skills!


3 comments:

Diana said...

Bailey was the same way when she started dance last fall. It was horrible, but she quickly learned how to follow directions and wait her turn. I know that Bailey never had the opportunity to really take instruction from anyone but Craig and I before that. I so wish I had the right circumstances to be homeschooling Bailey this year, but I just can't add more to my plate right now. Some days, I just feel like I am drowning as it is. Maybe someday I will get that opportunity!

Shelly said...

Um, please tell me it's the camera angle, and he's not LICKING the balance beam in that last picture! hahahahah! And yes, I, too, love those special moments when our children decide to grace us with astounding performances that draw the attention of the entire group! Quite special. (Ava used to rip her clothes off when she'd have a tantrum in a store!!)

Knit and Purl Mama said...

Oh wow, gymnastics looks like a lot of fun! I wonder if they have things like that around here for the kids. I just signed up my older son for skating lessons, starting October. He's super excited.