Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Because I like to share



Oh friends I'm about to give you an amazing gift. Or it might be a curse depending on how you look at it.




No, I am not sending you all a batch of these beautiful cookies.


But I AM giving you the recipe. You're welcome.


This is my mother in law's recipe and it has taken several times of her doing with me, then doing lots of batches on my own to perfect my technique. So I'll try to include all those little "tips and tricks" that only come with making things a bazillion times.


:: SUGAR CUT-OUT COOKIES ::


Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup salted butter, softened (don't use unsalted, it ruins the flavor)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1egg
  • 4 tsp. milk
  • 2 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
Icing ingredients:
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • milk - add 1-2 tsp. at a time to desired consistency, fairly thick
  • food coloring and sprinkles
Directions:

Preheat oven to 375. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Stir in milk. Beat egg in separate bowl, then mix in. Blend in dry ingredients. Chill dough 1 hour. Roll out to 1/4 inch thick and use cookie cutters. Place on greased (grease with butter) cookie sheet and bake 6-8 minutes. Let cool, then decorate with icing and sprinkles. Let set for several hours until icing is completely dry and hard.

*when cookies are in oven, keep a close eye on them. Take them out BEFORE they start looking brown on the bottom. The cookies may not look completely cooked yet, but they are and will end up perfect once cooled. Its a fine line between cooked JUST RIGHT and starting to brown on the bottom. Good luck with that my friends.


If you make them let me know how they turn out! My mother in law will be so proud.


3 comments:

designHER Momma said...

you are crazy awesome! And I want.

Diana said...

I want some!!!! I usually go with the Betty Crocker mix, but think I am going to have to give your recipe a try!

Drea said...

im making these 2day :)