Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Parenting toddlers: It's not for the faint in heart



Yeah, so I'm really struggling with parenting two WILD boys, ages 1 1/2 and 3.

I mean, these kids are CRAZY.





Their favorite activities include:


Throwing as much food as possible all over the place at meal times.

Breaking anything electronic - computers, travel drives, cell phones, etc.

Pulling pillows off couches, jumping off couches onto pillows on floor.


And there's oh-so-much more. I just can't think of it all right now because I'm trying to relax as I ignore the sound of them throwing toys all around the basement. Yep, I've had enough for today.

These two just feed off eachother's naughtiness. And I don't quite know what to do about it. I feel like I'm yelling and saying things like "no!", "stop it!", "don't do that!", "you need a timeout!", etc. ALLLLL day long. I might have a nervous breakdown.

I feel like right now I'm just trying to keep things under control and stay afloat rather than really enjoying life and living it to the fullest.

I'm SOOO behind on housework because when I have a moment to NOT be "parenting" the boys, I need to just CHILL for a minute.

It really is my heart to raise these boys to love the Lord and put Him before all else. I want to help them to be creative, smart, caring, sensitive, loving, etc. But right now I feel like we're just making it through our days, and I'm spending our days preventing them from hurting themselves, eachother, or breaking things! (which isn't very successful!)

It's just hard. We're in a difficult season. I know that. But I want to do the best I can even when its difficult.

And I certainly don't feel like the way I'm handling things is the "best".

Ugggghhhh.

It's so hard.

That's really all I have to say. And that I'm so glad tomorrow is Wednesday. Because my mother in law comes over on Wednesdays to watch these crazy boys while I run errands. I pretty much count down the minutes until Wednesdays.

And have I mentioned how wonderful my in laws are?? I'm sure I have, but I'll say it again. They are wonderful. Not only do they help with the boys anytime we need them, we just genuinely love hanging out with them.

So...

I think I just really need to seek the Lord in this whole parenting thing.

I know its what He has called me to.

But right now I need a little more equipping to do it right!


4 comments:

shellycoulter said...

I think any mom that has reached the toddler stage or beyond can relate to this at one moment or another. It goes through stages/seasons. Hang in there!

I love the way you speak of your in-laws...How I hope so badly that one day I have two daughter-in-laws that feel this way about me and my husband! What a blessing!

Danae Jones said...

Hi, I'm a lurker but I'm coming out of the woodwork after reading this post! I have two little boys of my own that are 19 months apart. I KNOW how you feel! Some days are HARD and I feel like it takes everything I have to be patient with them. The chaos can get to me! I just try to remember what 1 Corinthians says about what love is: patient, kind, it keeps no record of wrongs. And pray! Pray pray pray for patience! You're not alone!

Angela said...

Kate, Wouldn't it be soooo wonderful if parenting was always a splashing-in-the-pool-on-the-deck kind of thing... I totally hear you on the frustration of kid chaos. But...you're right, it's a phase. One thing that's helped me through these times is to start praising every itty bitty positive thing my kids do. ...and sometimes I've had to look really hard... "You went potty without being told... you ate your lunch really fast... *sometimes* this works to switch them to trying to please me. Hang in there, and keep counting down the minutes to Mom-in-law days. :-)

In Everything said...

I can totally relate.... we've had plenty of conversations where we're totally burnt-out on the correction/discipline aspect of parenting and are ready to wave our white flag and let the kids HAVE the house;)

I"m learning to "pick my battles" and not showing my frustration as much.

Things that have helped are to give my kids attention when they are awake (my time is when they sleep... if they sleep... LOL.. I have a LOT LESS "freetime" since I've been a parent!!). And to give our day a little structure, it breaks up all of their alone playtime so they enjoy it more rather than being bored with each other or their toys... which usually leads to destruction and crazy running around the house.

Oh, and now that the heat has calmed down some, we've been OUTSIDE a lot more.... run off the energy! Races, bikes, parks, etc!!

Even on the crazy days with the referee whistle constantly blowing, I really try to enjoy the days! You're a GREAT mom with two Great, energetic and adorable little BOYS:)