Sunday, August 1, 2010

The best job ever






Let's lighten the mood a bit after my last post about all my mama drama.

I have this song on my ipod that usually sparks memories of a job I once had. Well, it was a temp job. Right before Jon and I moved to Ohio from Denver, I was working for a temp agency as a bank teller, and they would place me at a bank that needed temporary help.

For 3 weeks I was placed at a Wells Fargo. Fortunately not the one I had previously worked at where I had that horrifying experience I like to keep in the muddy depths of my memory bank.

This Wells Fargo was run by, and employed an eclectic group of hippy, snowboarding peeps just working to get money for their lift tickets to Vail. And I'm pretty sure many of them were stoners. For some reason beyond me, the teller manager there kept the teller line WAY over-staffed. There were 4 of us that were temps and we mostly sat around all day. But nay, we passed our time in very creative and entertaining ways. (No, NOT by smoking pot all day, I swear. At least not me.)

First of all, the drive through part was separate from the indoor teller windows. All of the temps worked back there, plus a couple of other tellers. Out of six of us, usually only 2 people were helping customers. So we would take turns with the customers, and we made up all sorts of games to keep ourselves occupied.

We always had music on, and it was usually something like Beastie Boys or Pharcyde.


We made up a fantastic version of "Teller Bowling". The drive through teller area was one long hallway, perfect for such things. We all had our own rubber band balls we had made, and set up plastic cups as our bowling pins.

My all-time favorite game was "Have a nice day, meow", like from that movie Super Troopers. Have you seen it? You'll be dumber afterwards, just to warn.


We had a dry-erase board where we kept score... 1 point for each time you squeezed in the word "meow" into your phrasing, and 5 bonus points if you actually said "Meeeeoooowww" like a cat would. I flat out WON that game on a daily basis.

Hey, its management's fault. You don't leave a bunch of temps unsupervised with nothing else to do. And believe it or not, not a single customer ever said anything, nor did we get strange looks. Chock it up to poor intercom systems maybe?

I also did lots of cross-stitching, a skill I picked up from one of the other temps who passed time by cross-stitching. Ironically, on my last day, the manager gave me a little Wells Fargo book bag perfect for my cross-stitching stuff that I still use to this day. :)


1 comment:

Shelly said...

Super Troopers! Ha hahaha ha! That is a funny movie! Sounds like a great way to pass time while you get paid! :-)