Sunday, September 2, 2012

Yummalicious Bruschetta





Mmmmm...doesn't that look good you guys?  Guess what.  It is.  It's one of my favorites...perfect to bring to a potluck, serve as an appetizer, or just have by itself!  I'm going to share the recipe with you because I love you that much.  I wish I could invite you all over for an evening of appetizers and wine, but we'll just have to settle for this.


:: Kate's Bruschetta ::

Ingredients:

Olive paste:
  • 1 can pitted black olives
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 tsp balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp. capers, drained
  • 2 tsp olive oil
Tomato/Avocado Topping:
  • 1 1/2 cups (or so) finely chopped red tomatoes.  (any kind - I often use cherry tomatoes)
  • 2 avocados, pitted/peeled and chopped finely
  • 1/3 cup (or so) thinly sliced green onions
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 baguette (French, Italian, whatever you like)
  • olive oil to coat bread
  • Grated parmesan cheese



 We'll start with the olive paste.  It looks disgusting.  Am I right, or amirite?  I assure you it's not.

In a food processor or blender, combine all olive paste ingredients until smooth past forms.  Stop to scrape sides as necessary.  Set aside when complete.





For the tomato topping, combine chopped tomato, avocado, green onion in a bowl.  Coat with olive oil, basil, oregano, and salt/pepper.  Set aside.




Cut baguette into 1/2 - inch thick slices and place in 9x13 baking dish.  Lightly brush each side with olive oil.  Bake at 425 degrees F for about 5 min, turning once.



To assemble, spread each piece of bread with a thin layer of olive paste.  Top each with a generous helping of the tomato/avocado topping and sprinkle with paremesan cheese.  Return to oven for 3 - 5 minutes to melt toppings and heat through.



Next step...shove about 10 of them in your face, then leave me a comment telling me how much you loved them.  Enjoy!  (and seriously, I'd love to know if you end up making them!)


No comments: